Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish

My Aunt gave me this book by Sue Bender because I believe in a simple life. The Amish are the definition of simple living. I got a lot out of this book and I will share it with you.

1. "The more I willfully tried to force something fresh, the more I failed."
Go with the flow of life.
2. "My worry over the outcome robbed me of my joy in simply doing the work."
Sometimes I worry too much and that takes away from the moment of now.
3. "Acquiring possessions might lead to temptation, and they didn't want to become dependent on the outside world."
Being self-sufficient is so much more rewarding than depending on places for your food and entertainment.
4. "Find meaning in work itself."
5. "Do whatever you are doing to the best of your ability."
6. "We mustn't try to change or conquer nature or exploit the land."
7. "To simplify my life, I'd have to learn to say no."
I used to say yes to everyone. I became overwhelmed with doing things that other people wanted me to do, that I wasn't doing anything for myself.
8. "They do not spend time questioning who they are or where they belong. Accepting who they are brings a different kind of freedom."
9. "Satisfaction comes from giving up wishing I was somewhere else or doing somthing else."
10. "Trust, no matter what life turns out to be-even if it is not what I expected, or what I thought I wanted."
I definitely thought I would have a career by now and doing things that everyone else are doing. I have learned that what happens happens and that I don't need to live a life that everyone else is living.

No comments:

Post a Comment