Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dog zones and why I will never own a dog/pet

First off, I just want to say that I am not a dog hater. I love dogs. I grew up with dogs my whole life. They are a great companion and it has been proven that petting dogs can relieve stress. However, there are a lot of people who don't like it when dogs are constantly barking or when you have to smell dog poop because someone didn't clean up after their dog. I live in an apartment and we are not allowed to have dogs. The housing behind us allows pets because they are townhomes. The other night, we were trying to go to sleep and 2 dogs were constantly barking from 10-11p.m. Kyle went to the townhome and knocked on the door but noone answered. We figured the people had gone out and left the dogs out. Kyle decided to call the police and report a nosie complaint. The only thing they can do is leave a note. This ordeal really upset us.

For this reason, I think there should be dog zones. There should be parts of town designated to be dog free zones where people cannot own pets. They would enjoy peace.

I will never own a pet because I believe it is unfair to them. When we go to work, we leave our pets behind. Is that in their best interest? They probably would like it if they were not locked up and could be free to run. If you only have one dog they would probably get very lonely as well. Also, there are animals that get abused and abandoned. If there wasn't such a demand for pets their wouldn't be breeders and therefore less animals. Breeders are out to make a profit and probably don't care for animals. Animal mills do not have a good reputation. Mother animals are forced to start breeding at a very young age and being impregnated as soon as they give birth. The animals are also forced to live in very poor conditions.

Owning a pet is expensive and is a time commitment. Buying food, toys, brush, leash, etc. adds up. There is a time commitment of walking the dog and giving it the attention it deserves. Also, you have to clean up the poop which is not very fun.

There is also the debate of feeding animals a vegan diet since I am vegan. I wouldn't want to force an animal to eat a vegan diet just because I am vegan especially since cats and dogs are naturally carnivorous. So, due to my morals I would have to feed my dog meat. However, I am opposed to the slaughtering methods in order to obtain their food.

Please have your pet spayed or neutered.

No comments:

Post a Comment