Thursday, January 12, 2012

8 tips to stick with your workout plan!

Many people make resolutions to work out and loss weight but very few stick with it. Instead of making a resolution, create a habit. Habits are long-term.
Tips:
1.       Make it the same time every day. I work out when I get home from work. I get dressed in my workout clothes, turn on the television which is usually Ellen and workout. I am working out 25 minutes for 6 days a week. Mornings are also a great time to work out. It only takes a couple of weeks for a routine to become ingrained.
2.       Start small and work your way up. Start by exercising 10 minutes every day. Add 5 minutes per week. If you start out too big your chances of staying with your workout routine are low.
3.       Do a variety of exercises. I combine pilates, yoga and weight lifting.
4.       Do workouts that are fun. I sometimes get DVD’s at the library such as pilates, yoga, zumba, etc. and follow along. Do what you like to do. If you are not having fun you will not stick with your workout routine.
5.       Watch television or listen to music while working out.
6.       Focus on one habit at a time. Don’t over commit. You will be overwhelmed. You will have a higher success rate if you stick to one habit at a time.
7.       Don’t expect results in a short amount of time. It is not realistic to lose 30 pounds in a month and get washboard abs. Be patient. Results will happen.
8.       Workout with friends or join a fitness class at your gym. Working out with friends is great because you can motivate each other and help each other stick to a routine.
My workout:
1.       50 jumping jacks
2.       50 crunches
3.       25 bicycle crunches
4.       15 pushups
5.       Pilates: I lie on my side and lift one leg up 15 times. I also do the bicycle 15 times.
6.       Yoga: I do the morning salutation 3 times. I also do some other poses such as the warrior stance and other balance stances.
7.       Lift weights: I combine squats and lifting weights.
8.       Running for 10 minutes: I run inside by running 4 paces forward and 4 paces backward.
It may be hard to stick with your workout routine because you may feel tired when the time comes to work out. Just think about why you want to work out. Usually by the end of a work out you feel energized and happy.
Good luck and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment