Saturday, November 26, 2011

Living the life you want

I always wanted something more. I still want something more. In college, many of my friends would go back home during summer vacation and work. But, I wanted to go on an adventure. For two summers during college I went to work at summer camps in Arizona and Washington. I loved my experiences and I am so happy that I decided to do this. I graduated from the University of Wyoming with my Elementary Education degree. I looked around. Many of my peers were trying to find teaching jobs in their hometown or near their hometown. Was this going to be my life? Was I supposed to do this too? During school, you tend to follow what your peers do. We do this because we don’t want to seem weird. I knew in my heart that this wasn’t supposed to be my path. I felt like I needed to learn more and to explore new places. I didn’t want to settle down and be a teacher for the rest of my life. I know that this is definitely suitable for some people and the life that some people want but it was not for me.
I want people to know that it is okay to break tradition. If you don’t want to settle down and start a career, it’s okay. If you don’t want to get married and have kids, it’s okay. Think about what you want to accomplish in your life. You can make it happen!
I went to Alaska with Kyle (my now husbandJ) after my senior year of college. Many people told us, “I wish I could go there. Maybe someday I will.” Make someday, today! Making dreams come true is easier than you think.
1.       Don’t let fear hold you back. You miss out on a lot if you don’t do things because you are scared. I was scared to take a solo road trip to Washington, but I did it!
2.       Don’t let your busy life get in the way. You are probably busy with your job and life. But, take 10 minutes to reflect. Ask yourself if you are truly happy. No one is forcing you to stay at your job. I have quit two jobs in the past year because they haven’t worked for me.
3.       Write down your life goals/dreams. Once you have done this, figure out what you need to do in order to make your dreams come true! You can also set a time period for each of your goals. It is one thing to write them down, but now you need to take action.
Some dreams that I have made come true are: being a hiking guide in Alaska, working as a challenge course facilitator at a summer camp in Washington, becoming a ski instructor, and going to Hawaii.
My future goals:
1.       Teach English Abroad and travel
2.       Learn more about photography and get a new camera
3.       Learn more about holistic nutrition and eat more raw foods
4.       Learn more about simple and green living

No comments:

Post a Comment