Friday, November 11, 2011

11 Reasons Why I Don't Believe in God

I was raised as a Methodist. I went to church with my parents every Sunday. I was even confirmed to the church in 8th grade. I volunteered at vacation bible school in high school. Honestly, growing up I never really thought about the existence of God or questioned anything. I did what everyone did and went through the motions. I learned the bible stories and sang the songs.
It wasn’t until college that I really started thinking about God, Jesus, religion, etc. I decided to join Navigators at the University of Wyoming. I thought it would be a place to meet people and to learn more about the bible. I felt like an outsider. I found it weird when people started throwing their arms up and closing their eyes. I couldn’t understand why they were so passionate about god. I stuck with it and when I was a Sophomore I went on their annual retreat. One thing I did not agree with was when they told us to love God more than our family. How could I love someone that I could not see? I have never felt God or seen God. I can’t find examples where he has helped me in my life. It was at this time that I decided to no longer be a Christian.
I believe in gay marriage. I believe in women having the right to have an abortion. These things are wrong according to the bible. How could I go to church and follow teachings in the bible if they say these things are not allowed?
I live my life according to what I think is right. I believe I direct my life.
I cannot prove that God doesn’t exist but here are reasons why I don’t believe:
1.       If there were a god, why would evil exist?
2.       There are many religions out there with many gods. They can’t all be right, but they can all be wrong.
3.       The bible is not consistent with history.
4.       I haven’t seen anything supernatural. How can I believe in the supernatural stories in the bible?
5.       I rely on science more than faith. There is no scientific evidence that god exists.
6.       There is no good reason to bother believing.
7.       I believe in evolution. Design does not require a designer.
8.       There is no evidence that stories actually happened from the bible.
9.       I don’t want to believe in a god that sends nice people to hell just because they didn’t devote their lives to god.
10.   It is not helpful for me to know that there is a god who will make everything better and is controlling everything. If something isn’t going right I will try to fix it instead of praying for things to get better.
11.   I have gotten by perfectly fine without believing in god. I found the love of my life (Kyle), I have had many fun and interesting jobs, I am not in debt, I have a loving family, and I am healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment